We Real Cool

https://poets.org/poem/we-real-cool

March Madness is one of the largest athletic events in the world. A single elimination basketball tournament with over 68 college teams, the competition is tough, and predicting outcomes is even tougher. Everyone loves seeing the underdog win, which is why I immediately picked Gwendolyn Brooks when my English teacher announced that our class would be creating our own Poetry March Madness competition.

Often regarded as one of the most influential poets of the 20th-century, Gwendolyn Brooks’ impact on American culture is prevalent even today, nearly 20 years after her death. A revolutionary individual from day one, Brooks was born in 1917 at the tail end of the first World War. She published her first poem at the age of 13, and began frequently publishing poems in the Chicago Defender by the time she was 17. Watching the events of the Civil Rights Movement unfold, Brooks stayed true to her racial identity, amplifying the strength of black culture and echoing the values of Martin Luther King and other impactful activists of the time.

All of this is amazing, but this isn’t why I picked Gwendolyn Brooks. To be frankly honest, I didn’t even know her story or any of her poems.

So why Gwendolyn Brooks?

When assessing the quality of a poet, you look not at their word choice or creativity but rather their impact on the world. More than a 100 years after she was born, Gwendolyn’s words are still being used in modern mainstream music to promote the very values that she stood for her entire life.

Over the past few years, my dad began working for a company in Chicago. As I spent more time around the city while sometimes accompanying him on his business trips, I found myself immersed in Chicago’s rich and diverse hip-hop scene. One such artist, Mick Jenkins, stood out with his song, “Gwendolynn’s Apprehension.” I’d never heard of Gwendolyn Brooks before, and I listened to the song for at least 9 or 10 months before I actually looked up “Who was Gwendolyn?” Curious, I began researching more into her impact, and I came across the poem “We Real Cool.”

The song “Gwendolynn’s Apprehension” is based off Brooks’ 1959 poem “We Real Cool”. Within a contemporary lens, Mick offers introspective verses discussing his views on the superficiality of young people and their questionable life choices. Just because the masses deem something to be cool, does not mean he personally finds it cool or impressive. Mick has previously rapped about the importance of authenticity and maintaining a sense of individuality, and this song serves to further reinforce his personal growth, demonstrating how he became a leader instead of a follower.

I really connect with this piece of music. I often find myself unconsciously “rebelling” or going against what people think is cool, sometimes unaware of what even occurs until it is too late. I never question my decisions however, because it seems disingenuous to do something you don’t want to in order to gain the acceptance of others. Mick Jenkins writes about individuality and authenticity, and I find it increasingly important in this age of over-validation to stay true to yourself and make sure you uphold your values.

As Gwendolyn mentioned when asked about her most famous poem, “Most young people know me only by that poem.” I’m here to say that she is 100% correct, and if it wasn’t for such a relatable and unique piece of work, perhaps I would never have known the impacts of such a strong leader and powerful woman.

Comments

  1. After seeing her profound impact on the future of the Chicago art scene, I also really like Gwendolyn Brooks. I’ve noticed connections with Kanye’s music as well.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment